4/11/16
This has been our life lately. Wrestling.
This has been our life lately. Wrestling.
The
boys are obsessed and often ask when dad will be home so they can
wrestle him. They wrestling after breakfast, off and on through out the
day, on the football field at track practice, and have attempted to in
the car and on the bench at church.
My stress levels have adapted and I don't even hold my breath or blink unless there is blood.
The rough and tough, crazy, wild atmosphere they create makes the tender moments, even more tender and heart melting.
I
think society has led us to believe boys aren't sensitive or nurturing.
But that just isn't the case. Jack and Brock recognize the miracle
about to join our family and tenderly talk to their little bro often.
They are so excited for him to come, especially Brock.
They are so excited for him to come, especially Brock.
We don't have many mornings without J and B greeting SnotRod and reminding me of how big my belly is getting.
For Heath's spring break we took the boys to Temple Square.
The
original plan was to go to the top of the church office building. The
boys were so sad when we were told there is construction at the top and
weren't allowed up. That sadness didn't last long as we continued to
explore the beautiful grounds around the temple.
Easter
was a blast with these little cowboys. The Easter Rabbit (not bunny,
according to Jack) brought cowboy hats and they haven't left their heads
for days.
This
year the boys really seemed to grasp the story of Christ's
resurrection. It prompted hundreds of questions that I never expected a 4
year old to ask. I should have written them down because my prego brain
can't remember them now. I do remember being stumped on how to answer
some!
The
boys' weekly guitar lessons with Heath have continued. Brock is very
intrigued my music and learning to play like daddy. The new cowboy hats
made for some perfect pictures!
I
know I've mentioned before how physically difficult this pregnancy has
been. I think some of the pain could have been avoided if I didn't try
to sprint like my 18 yr old self back in October with the winter track
kids... I must have torn my hip flexor. It hasn't ever fully healed and
made it difficult to walk and get dressed like a normal person. I
finally went to a physical therapist and have a therapy routine now. It
seems to be helping. I can lift my leg now to get my pants on!
General
Conference with these three was joyful. Honestly, it was near
impossible to focus on a full talk but I enjoyed having a slow down pace
surrounded by my favorite boys in the world and the spirit that filled
our home.
Track
is in full swing! I'm usually on the couch when I get home because I
can't walk the rest of the night after practice but I love it.
This
year has been especially challenging for me, because of the number of
hurdlers I have...20+! 80% of them show up every day and work really
hard. The challenge has come when race day approaches. For
invitational/varsity meets we can only enter 4 athletes in each event,
usually the 4 fastest.
I
committed at the beginning of the season that it wouldn't be just their
time that gets them the chance to race at varsity meets. Showing up to
practice, working hard, not making excuses, supporting teammates etc
played an equal role for being considered varsity... unlike some of the
other coaches on the team who put in the fastest no matter what...I
think for their personal egos...
I
thought that would help when it comes down to deciding who gets to
race. But nearly all of them are doing those things! Its been
heartbreaking for me to basically tell kids they don't get to
race because they aren't fast enough. Many of them are less than a
second short of that 4th place spot and work they're butts off every
day. I've been really impressed that these kids don't give up despite
the fact they don't get to race. They actually seem to work harder.
Alexia
has been one of those. She was one of my faithful winter track athletes
and her dedication hasn't wavered since. She is quiet and isn't ever in
spotlight even though she works harder than nearly everyone else. It
has been hard to see her work so hard and still not make it into the top
4 on our team. But one of the girls faster than her in the 300m Hurdles
was of the few who didn't consistently show up to practice. So I made
the call to let Alexia run and take this less dedicated girl out of the
race.
I
was so glad I did, despite the disapproval of another coach. Alexia
dropped 5 seconds in the 300m hurdles. 5 seconds!! This made her the 2nd
fastest in that event on our team. It felt so good to be able to teach
the rest of the kids through Alexia's example that hard work doesn't go
unnoticed and it does pay off. For some it may not pay off immediately
by being able to run varsity this year or next year or ever. It will pay
off years down the road.
The
head coach ordered my two little assistants shirts this year. They are
very proud of them. Jack told me he can run the fastest now with his new
shirt.
We
are putting our house up on the market this week. In preparation I've
slowly been cleaning out the basement and closets, mowing, repainting
the back deck and resting on the couch thinking of everything we need to
do! I'm ready for this to be over or want to give up, but then I think
of Alexia. Hard work and dedication will pay off. It will all work
out...right?!





No comments:
Post a Comment