The track season came and went too fast. I loved every minute of it. I didn't just love getting outside and being around a sport I love, but I learned to love the kids I coached as well. I started calling them 'my hurdlers' because they quickly felt like little brothers and sisters to me. I would say they felt like my kids, but I just don't feel old enough to say that... I couldn't have asked for a better group of kids.
They came to practice wanting to improve and succeed. We were the last ones to leave the track most practices and they often did two workouts- one with the sprinters and one with hurdles. My two little assistant hurdle coaches, also liked practice most days. Jack made two buddies, Hunter and Brooklyn, who he loved getting attention from. He also loved helping me call them to the blocks and nearly perfected his own start. My best babysitters for Brockster was surprisingly a couple of junior boys. I would often see them trying to entertain him on the grass while I was working technique with other kids.
I had butterflies at our region meet just like I would get on my own race days years ago. It was an exciting meet; so many of my hurdlers improved. In the 110m Hurdlers our boys placed 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th.
We dominated the medal stand in the Boys 300m Hurdles as well, placing 2nd, 3rd, and 5th.
Those boys helped our men's team take home the region trophy. So proud of them!
Even though they didn't make the medal stand, I still have much to say about my dear hurdlerite girlies. I could use many words to describe them. Determined? Yes. Hard working? Yes. Persevering? Yes. Optimistic? Yes. Silly? Double yes. If I ever have a girl, I hope she grows up to be like these awesome chicas. Despite ongoing injuries, they didn't give up and they brought laughter and smiles to every practice. I'm not sure exactly why, but they started calling me, Jack, and Brock 'Lady Bleazardereth and thine seed'. ...goofs. Sadly I didn't get pictures of them, probably because when I would watch them I usually ended up laughing.
My knees keep me from running and racing much, but coaching has given my heart and mind a little dose of the rush I miss like crazy, just without the sweating. I truly enjoy watching these kids work hard to improve and succeed. Go Stallions!





No comments:
Post a Comment