Saturday, January 26, 2013

Becoming A Better Me

I usually don't write about my birthday, but I had such a great experience I wanted to record it. The last couple of years I noticed I had felt a little sorry for myself on my birthday. If we're honest- Heath isn't very creative. He will admit it too! Planning something fun for me or surprising me isn't how he thinks to show his love. Silly to have a pity party over- I know. This year I was busy with Jack's birthday, planning an extended family party, my church calling, doctor appointments, etc so I hadn't even thought about my birthday. When Heath asked me what I wanted to do, I didn't know what to tell him. I had plans to go to lunch with my mom and sister Jamie, so I decided we should go to the temple since a baby sitter was already on hand.

I love how I feel at the temple. I never want to leave the Celestial room. Heath and I had a wonderful time there. I also had the opportunity to help a sister in a wheel chair get dressed after our session. Long story short, this sister was told someone working at the temple could help her, but turns out they have a policy against it for legal issues and no one was there to help her. By offering to help, I was able to spend time with a spiritual giant! This sister, who was probably in her mid 40's, had a stroke last August. This was her first time back to the temple since. She radiated with the spirit. After I strolled her out to meet her husband, I felt so much love for her.

While driving home I was uncontrollably happy. I began thinking about the day I had and the contrast from previous birthdays that were good, but nothing special. This birthday was special. I had a greater connection with my Savior and caught a glimpse of who I can be with his help. I was in tune to the spirit and was more aware of others than myself. I was filled with love. I felt pure happiness. All of that was a million times better than having a day all about me, being spoiled, or surprised. I hope to make it to the temple every year on my birthday. I can't think of a better way to celebrate the day I was born than to focus on serving others, strive to become more like my Savior, and ultimately become a better me. That's why we came here in the first place isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me cry!!! You are so amazing sista!!! Thanks for sharing. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salt- you are truly incredible and wise above your years. So grateful to have you in my life.

    ReplyDelete