Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Moments with Captain Jack

For Easter this year, my mother-in-law gave us the church nursery manual to help us plan Family Fight Nights (my dad's term for FHE). This book has been a great tool to start teaching our Captain about the gospel. Our first lesson lasted 2 minutes. We started by singing 'Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam', which made Jack erupt into laughter every time we sang the word "sunbeam". Our lesson consisted of looking at a picture of a little boy and his mom praying and showing Jack how we fold our arms. Jack tried folding his arms once and then made it clear he was done with Family Fight Night. He hoped off the couch and started running all over the house. We tried encourage him to pray with us at dinner as well, but Jack would just stare at us and sometimes even giggle.

A few days later we were visiting Grandma and Grandpa in Kamas. Jack, my mom, and I sat down at the table for some lunch. My mom and I were chatting and began eating. Jack jabbered something at us loudly and when we looked him he folded his arms, bowed his head slightly, and mumbled something for a brief second. When he was done he started chowing down on his lunch. My mom and I were humbled and in awe. Thank you for reminding us to pray Jack! The same thing has happened many times since then. Multiple prayers are often offered by Jack through out any given meal. I pray that this will be the start of a lasting testimony for my sweet kiddo.

I never would have thought that a 2 minute lesson would have made much of an impact, but it did. I have a testimony of the prophets and apostles' counsel to hold Family Home Evening. I've seen the impact of FHE from a perspective as a daughter, sister, and now as a mother. Truly, by small and little things are great things brought to pass.


2 comments: