We are the lucky parents of a kid who loves life! Some of the many things that make life so great for Jack is watching 'Little House on the Prairie', throwing his diapers away, getting messy and making messes, trying to put socks and shoes on himself and us, opening and closing doors, "driving" the car, running down the driveway, collecting rocks, sweeping floors, chewing on toothbrushes, and lets not forget- throwing balls.
Jack has been busy growing and learning. At 15 months he weighed 24.63 lbs (50th percentile), was 31.75 in tall (67th percentile). Jack enjoys doing most anything, with an exception of coming inside the house after playing outside. There are however a few things that he seems to be innately passionate about. Heath and I didn't do much coaxing in these areas- its just who he is. Our Captain is an...
Animal Lover
Jack loves animals. He is especially fond of cats, dogs, cows, and birds. He is perfectly comfortable sitting it the corral with the cows literally and pretend. When he hears the neighbor's dog bark, his head pops up, eyes widen, and he excitedly says "dow!". If a cat is in sight, he's instantly on the run trying to catch it, with arms stretched out, and repeatedly saying "mow". Slides and play grounds go on hold when a bird is spotted by Jack "wow! teet teet!"
I feel a bit embarrassed to share these stories because they show how much of chicken I am when it comes to dogs. Its clear my son is much more comfortable around animals than I am (But in my defense I've been chased and nipped at too many times while on runs to really love them). A couple of months ago we were on a walk along Village Blvd. All of the sudden a huge dog on the other side of the fence jumped and lean against the fence barking ferociously at us. He must of been standing on something because I could see his entire head and his massive front paws were on top of the fence. I thought he was going to jump over. Terrified, I started running while pushing Jack in the stroller. Jack the Animal Lover's response was, "Oh wow, wow dow! Dow!" We also encountered another large dog with his owner at the park one day. I took my eyes off the Captain for a brief moment and next thing I know he is running with out stretched arms toward this dog. By the time I reach him he is standing right next to the dog and gets licked all over. The dog was taller than he was, but that didn't seemed to phase him even though I was freaking out. He was just a little shocked that he got licked. The look on his face seemed to say "I didn't know dogs did that!"
Thumb Sucker with a Blanket Obsession
He wouldn't take a binkie or drink from a bottle as a baby- all this kid needed was his right thumb. I've been grateful he is a thumb sucker because we never lose it, Jack can find it himself in the middle of the night, and it has helped him become a pretty good sleeper. Jack would never admit there is a negative side to favorite hobby of thumb sucking, but there is. Calluses upon calluses upon calluses. And lets not forget that every grimy germ Jack has touched usually ends up in his mouth. He doesn't seem to mind an occasional dirt covered thumb, but I sure do. Lastly, weaning seems like it will be much more difficult than if he was in love with binkies. Hopefully the kid decides to give it up himself.
Now lets talk about Jack's very best friend in the entire universe. Its blue, yellow, and white, soft and cuddly, usually really dirty, and attached to Jack most of the day and all night. You guessed it- his blanket. I have no idea why this blanket became the lucky friend, but I've learned the hard way not to separate the two. Jack's bff often comes to breakfast, lunch, and dinner with him so you can imagine what it looks like after PB&J's. Washing the beloved blanket is tricky. Jack has a major melt down if he sees me put it in the washing machine or hang it out to dry (our dryer is currently not working and it seems the repair man of the house isn't working either...). I also have to time it just right so Jack's precious friend is ready for nap time when he is. If not, there is no nap taking. Period.
Nudist
(This may contain PG-13 material and is not suited for young children)


Life is really good for the Captain when I let him run around naked. He loves loves loves it. Getting dressed after all the freedom...he doesn't love so much. The pictures really just say it all... and that he has a cute little bum.
Keeper of the Blocks and Expert Hurdle Inspector
Jack tries to be my helper at track practices, but usually ends up getting in the way of the hurdlers. He loves riding in the cart with the blocks, setting up the blocks, and inspecting each hurdle when we are doing drills. Jack's idea of hurdling is going under not over. Giving the kids Hi5's as they do their warm up laps is also one of his jobs. The Captain's favorite thing at practice is calling the runners to the blocks. He caught on to the starting process very quickly. "Runners to your mark....Set...Go" (with a clap to imitate the gun sound). The clap is Jack's specialty and he often confuses the kids because he claps a little too early. We work on Jack's start at practice too. His reaction is a little delayed because he wanst to do the clap part himself. Once he explodes he is a speedster...but just in the 100 inch dash.
Jack finds most everything in life to be so exciting and fun. It is such a blessing because it helps us find joy in the little things. "Wow!" is Jack's signature saying. If something is really cool it gets a double wow. All I can say is that our Captain Jack is a double wow in my book.
We love you little bug!






oh sooooo cute! I wish we lived closer so Logan could be buddies with his cool cousin. I hope you repair man is able to get working again soon :)
ReplyDelete