Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pregnancy The Second Time Around

Being pregnant the second time around is much less exciting. With Jack I knew exactly how many weeks and days I was into the pregnancy. I wrote down my blood pressure, current weight, pregnancy weight gain, belly measurement, and Jack's heart rate after every doctor's appointment. And I could have probably told you how many times I felt him move around throughout the day. My first pregnancy felt like it was never going to end, like Jack was never going to get here, but with good reason because he was a week late. The nine months were full of anticipation, excitement and plenty of nerves.

Everything seems to be quite the opposite this time around. I can't keep track of what week I'm on, I don't remember many, if any, of the stats from my last doctor appointment, and it seems like I just found out I was pregnant, not about to start my third trimester. The last 5 months have been a whirlwind for me and before I know it I'm going to have two little munchkins!

That thought, however, does provoke very similar feelings I had during my first pregnancy. I do get excited and wonder- Is he going to look like his big brother? What are we going to name him? Are he and Jack going to be best buds? What's his personality going to be like? I have been excited for this little guy to come, but there's lots of nerves this time around as well- How am I going to handle TWO?? Two under the age of two?!! What if this little guy has as much energy as Jack?! Will the recovery be as rough with this one?

Everyone says its much easier with two. But even if they are wrong, I know its possible. Its possible because of love. When I get tired of feeling the aches and pains of pregnancy and the frustrations and exhaustions of motherhood, Jack reminds me why its worth it. One glimpse of him finding the cat on each page of his favorite book and saying "meow" or doing his signature dance move when he hears music he likes, then I know I can do it. I can handle the sleepless nights, the meltdowns, the ligament and hip pains, the blow outs, the stretch marks, the picky eating, the labor and delivery, the protests, and the postpartum recovery. Its possible and its worth it because of love. I know I'm going to love this little guy just as much as I love Jack. He'll bring with him his own set of special skills to torment and frustrate me, but also an abundance of moments that melt my heart and fill me with indescribable joy.

For the record, and to help me remember...
I am 24 weeks and 3 days
Approx. 15 weeks and 4 days left.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you love being a mom! It's the best job in the whole world! Mom

    ReplyDelete